Monday, March 13, 2006

ODD'S N SODS

Having now been here for a bit over 6 months, we have become entitled to register with our local medical clinic and obtain a National Health Membership. The NHS wrote to Carol asking whether she was the same Carol Walker who had an NHS number from 1974 when she lived and worked in London!! They wrote to me saying that they were having trouble finding me and asking where I had lived in UK before (1952 for Gods sake) and whether I had served in the armed forces.Told them my old army number 22144588 L/Cpl Royal Engineers and hope that suffices,
I also saw a pamphlet recently advising a deadline date for claiming the Winter Fuel allowance for over 70's. I rang them up and they sent me an application form which required proof of age and a National Insurance number. I had to go to Job Cente in Huntingdon where the photocopied my passport and driving license to prove age, and then incredibly they searched their computer records and asked me whether I had ever lived in Boscombe and if so in what street. As I could remember Gloucester Road as the address it threw up my NI number from 1952!! Now I am waiting to hear that I have been granted the allowance of L200 ($500) which will be most welcome as the last gas bill was L180!!
As I am over 70 I also get free medicine from doctor's prescriptions and of course we both get free consultations under the NHS scheme. There are some benefits in being here - but I think the Poms arre in front!!!

No comments: